Subject: Re: [Leica] Solm's Lack of Quality
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:54:48 -0500

At 11:08 AM 5/11/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Fixing products after they've shipped is bad for everyone including the
>manufacturer.   I spent 35 years developing software and I can tell you it's
>a lot more expensive to fix a bug in the field than in the lab.  Not to
>mention the lost customer base that goes with it.

That is absolutely true. Good customers are golden compared to winning new
ones. Leica really had to address any QC problems they may have. But I
heard the same wringing of hands and lamenting the loss of quality at Nikon
when I was on the Nikon list a year ago. All because the F5 had some
software problems in battery usage. Easily fixed in 15 minutes. But it was
a sing, to some that Nikon is going down the tubes.

I think that if people keep letting Leica know what their problems are,
they will fix any trends that are happening. The price, I suspect of buying
cameras from a company that sells so few of anything that the number of bad
experiences that people have are obviously going to seem like a lot more
than in other manufacturers. When in real numbers, maybe there isn't any
difference.

But Leica in the long run has to be better than the others. Service,
manufacture and product quality.

=========

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

Some people say that I'm superficial, but that's just on the surface.