Subject: Re: [Leica] State of the art Canadians
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 16:15:47 -0600

Leicas seem to be more affordable than they've been in years, don't seem
unacceptably cheapened, and the optics are newish+genuinely interesting, and
that's a good start. I want a Tri-Elmar, and Contax hasn't got one.

What is "State Of The Art" anyhow? Just a catchy phrase whose definition
changes seemingly at a moment's notice. Being appropriate and relevant never
goes out of style!

The great Canon and Nikon Corporations which built today's wonder-SLRs
probably did so by making lots of money selling far less illustrious gear. I
doubt that the top models are very profitable (if at all) in themselves, but
I'm sure many a Rebel and N50 owner took some comfort in buying into a brand
which had created the "best" SLR available, though they may never choose to
own an EOS-1n or F5 themselves. Just for the fun of it, let's see if they
dare to move production of their top models outside of Japan--my bet is no,
because it's an image thing. The downside, from a prestige point of view, is
also getting to see your favorite brand sold in blister packs to a bunch of
yahoos :-)

But, why worry about things beyond your control? Take your Leica out and
have some fun with it, 'cause whatever happens, happens!

Jeff