Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R state-of-the art?
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 21:18:35 +0000

Ben wrote:

> Well all the expensive EOS lenses I've used have a beautiful tactile
> feel. Whether it is as good as the Leica ones you are thinking of I
> don't know. But you can't compare expensive Leica lenses to cheap Canon
> ones. As for the viewfinder, well either user can pick a focusing screen
> that makes them happy, but a Canon user could... for example... buy a
> 24/1.4 giving a 2 stop brighter image than a Leica user with their more
> expensive 24/2.8, not to mention easier manual focus with the faster
> lens.

While the lenses may have a nice feel, I know my old EOS L lenses
did have a nice feel on the manual focus, the viewfinder was HORRIBLE
for manual focus.  It was 1) way too dark, and 2) lacked good
contrast to determine if the focus was there or not.  Often when
shooting under poor lighting situations I found myself HAVING to
trust that the camera had found the correct focus because I could
not tell if the image was sharp looking through the finder, and I did
try several different focusing screens.

The most telling example, to me, was while covering an NFL football
game and using my old FD 400 2.8 on the F1N while using my 80-200
2.8L on my EOS 1.  The EOS 1 was so dark to look through I kept
looking to see if something had gotten stuck on the front of the lens
obscuring some of the lens.  The image through the 400 on the old F1N
was at a minimum twice as bright.

I have found the bright screens of the R8 and R6 to be very easy to
focus in low light and I have had no problems shooting moving
subjects with these cameras.

Each of us chooses a camera for his/her own reasons and this arguing
over who is best Nikon, Canon, Leica, Minolta because of the
features crammed in the on-board computers is fruitless.  Hopefully
by the time someone has dropped around $2000.00 USD for a camera,
they know what features they want and get a system that fills those
needs.
Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto