Subject: [Leica] First M system choices
From: Phil Kokoczka <pak@lbwl.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 08:58:32 -0500

Dave Munroe wrote:
>Phil Kokoczka wrote:

>> The M3 (ser. #709 xxx)...

>>It also has a couple of depth of field tabs on the rangefinder
>> patch which are really neat to use
>> with the 50mm lens.

>This must've been a later addition to your M3.  I believe
>many double-stroke models don't have it.
>--Dave

AND
Marc James Small wrote:
>At 02:31 PM 5/6/98 -0700, Dave Munroe wrote about the presence of
>DOF
>indicators on M3 709xxx: (and ARGH for the "xxx"!):
>>
>>This must've been a later addition to your M3.  I believe
>>many double-stroke models don't have it.

>DOF indicators were added when the changeover to SS came at
>919251.
>However, my M3DS 864292 has 'em.  I suspect that most of the later
>DS's had
>them.

>Marc

My M3 SN 709 907, a VERY early model (first year) does indeed have
DOF tabs. It is a DS, no frame preview lever and glas pressure plate. I
understand that  later models had cut-outs and not tabs for DOF
indication. What year did this happen? Could my M3 have been modified
by having the rangefinder replaced? How can I find this out? (The RF
patch and the frames are just as clear and bright as on a new camera. Is
this an indication that the RF has been replaced?)