Subject: Re: SV: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #27
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 21:06:29 +0100

>>The future Leica will look like an SLR with a fixed focus f1.0 lens.
>>Focussing will be automatic but by tiny movements of the film/CCD plane and
>>not big movements on the lens.  Why? because during one exposure the CCD
>>will be able to focus foreground - then download the image, refocus
>>midground - download again, then refocus background - then download again
>>to produce a composite digital "frame" that can be manipulated in Photoshop
>>or whatever.

That being the case, what will happen to guys like me who prefer to work
with wide apetures to throw all the background garbage out of focus when
not required?

It's an interesting concept for fine art shooters and their landscape,
peeling paint pictures, but I hardly think it's a great idea for sports and
photojournalism.

<<<<<<<Film will exist along side digital for most of our careers and
lives. The ratio will change, but not for a long time to come will film be
obsolete. It's still getting better too.>>>>>>>>

Hi Eric,

Like you I find it hard to believe film will be completely over taken by
electronics. I believe it's similar to what was said when photography came
into being........"it will be the end of art and painting!" What do we have
today?

Artists use cameras to record scenes during one time of year and put the
paint to canvas at another. While working from the transparency they
exposed months earlier.

Sure someday far into the future, film in the order of todays usage wont be
required, as electronics will have been improved to the quality of todays
film or better. Equipment for electronic recording, printing and whatever
else they will have invented by then for images will be so economical
everyone will have it as we see the P&S cameras of today.

However, you and I will not likely be around to see it happen in this format.

And I bet there will still be diehard ordinary folks who like to print in
the darkroom! :)

ted