Subject: Re: [Leica] perforations
From: Paul and Paula Butzi <butzi@halcyon.com>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 08:10:38 -0700

At 03:54 AM 5/6/98 , you wrote:
>Paul
>Thanks for the rational analysis of my somewhat vague idea.  You have
>obviously thought this through before, and better, than I did.
>
>I am, however surprised that you think the lenses would have to be
>recomputed.  Surely the tolerances are not that tight.  Maybe there will be
>light falloff on only one corner and a different corner for different
>lenses and bodies.

Mmm.  I think, without actually knowing, that the tolerances really
*are* that tight.  There are some persuasive reasons to limit the
coverage of a lens, most of which have to do with improving
contrast and reducing flare.  My understanding is that
limiting the coverage also makes it possible to improve resolution.
Remember, too, that performance generally drops off at the edges
of the image circle, so if you go outside the usable image area
as designed, the performance might get pretty bad.

On the other hand, I note that the lens hood on the 35mm f/2
ASPH actually occludes a portion of the image circle.  But this
is only wide open, and only on the long side of the negative,
and I've no idea what performance would be like at the very
edge.

- -Paul