Subject: [Leica] 6.8 Telyts
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 22:55:38 -0400

On Sun, 3 May 1998, Alfred Breull wrote:

>Now, that you mention it, I've always wondered how current =

>tv documentations frequently show wildlife scenes as if taken =

>with a wide or super wide angle. =

>Are they just lucky, or do they use special tricks ?

Alf,

There are many tricks, one of which is a blind.  Another is a
remotely-operated camera, and yet another is to photograph animals in a
controlled situation, such as "wild" animal game parks developed
specifically for this purpose.  IMHO this last trick carries the risk of
portraying the animals doing things or in habitats which in the wild woul=
be unnatural for the animal.

I only use wild animals, and the 400 is the most useful lens for me.  I'v=
also used the 90mm Summicron-R on occasion, and a couple of times I used
55mm and 24mm (non-Leica) lenses.  I consier these exceptional cases, but=

there have been times when I had to back up to have any chance at decent
photos (a Blue Grouse attacked me, a Collared Pika shared a rock with me,=
Gyrfalcon was just too dang curious, the Dall Sheep and Hawk-Owl fledgeli=
ng
were oblivious, and a cow Moose was a "bit" overprotective, if you catch =
my
drift).

- -Doug