Subject: [Leica] Quick-release for M-4P & M-6
From: j.leonarddesigner@videotron.ca (Jacques Leonard designer)
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 22:19:57 -0400

Hello Lugers,
I need your opinion about the following.
I just bought a superb wood tripod (model #8023) made by Berlebach of
Germany (distributed here in Canada by Kindermann Inc.,the Canadian Leica
distributor). It is as well made as a Leica, believe me.
I will use it mostly with my M4-P.

The ball head I want to put on this tripod is a Stroboframe Deluxe Studio
Ballhead wich I bought used a week ago. This ball head is built like a tank
and works well.

Here are my questions.

I want to put a quick release on this ball head. Is it really usefull or is
it just another gadget I can't live without until I buy it?

I have seen in Kirk Enterprises web site (http://www.kirkphoto.com) their
quick release with a dedicated plate for M-6 (wich would work with my M4-P)
which offset the tripod screw fitting to the center of the camera. The QR
plate for Leica cameras (model PLM) is $US 54. The Quick Release to use
with this plate seems to be either the QR-1 ($US 50.) or the QR-3 ($US
90.). I don't know which one yet.
Does any one of you have any experience with these Kirk QR?
Are they good? Usefull? Practical?
Is a QR adapted to an existing Ball head as good as a ball head made w/QR?

Is there another QR with a plate made especially for M cameras as this one is?

I have read on a web site a letter from someone who was recommending the
Stroboframe Quick release as a very good one. I have checked it on B&H
website and can't see anything that would suggest it to have a dedicated
plate for M cameras.
Any one knows about this one?

I have a couple weeks to decide myself as my M4-P is now at Kindermann for CLA.
So I am asking you to help me make the right choice (if choice ther is!).

Thanks, I am anxious to read your comments.
Jacques Leonard

j.leonarddesigner@videotron.ca