Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M history
From: director@ubi.edu
Date: Sun, 03 May 1998 11:12:53 +0100

Bill Rosauer wrote:

>The first Leica M camera with an integrated exposure meter
>was the Leica M5.
>This camera was introduced in 1971 and was manufactured until 1975.
>Nearly 34,000 units were produced in both chrome and
>black chrome finish.  .....
>The Leica CL also had a similar arrangement and this camera was
>introduced in 1972.
>Until the advent of the Leica M6 in 1984,
>these were the only M cameras with integrated light meters
>(although some might argue that the CL was not really an M camera).

Fabian and Bill,

In LEICA, A History illustrating every Model and Accessory
Paul-Henry van Hasbroeck
Revised and updated edition with 62 colour plates.
Sotheby Publications 1993
ISBN 0 85667 430 3

There are two photographs of two different M3s
(prototypes circa 1960s)
with manual exposure meter arm operated by a small lever.
(XXXII and XXXIII)
And on XXXVI and on page 178 and 179, there are two prototypes
of the Leica M4 very close in design to the production M5.

Comment from P-H van Haersbroeck:
"One may speculate that, from the introduction of the M2,
Leitz designers workerd hard at developing a
through-the -lens exposure meter of the flip-up variety.
Then, after the viewfinder of the M3 and M2 had been combined
in the prototypes of what was intended to be the M4,
it was decided to abandon the metering system until it was perfected,
and meanwhile, to give a boost to sales by launching a new model:
the M4. Had time permitted, the M4 would have been based
on its intended prototypes."(= M5)

If this is true, we are lucky, because who can say how the
M6 will look today if the M4 that we know was not made.

Lucien