Subject: Re: [Leica] film question
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 22:16:25 -0700

I find it interesting that when an opinion is rendered on any subject in
this forum, a spate of contradictions, voodoo alternatives, and snake oil
remedies are paraded before our eyes.
And then, of course, the subject is beat to death for days.

Certainly there are different opinions, experiences and expertise to
consider. Yet I can't help wonder at some of the suggestions offered.

In the above case I see it as a simple issue of eliminating the green cast
pervasive when photographing a subject in a predominantly green environment.

"Use Flash"?  And if the subject is too far?

"Polarize the reflected light".  All light in a photograph is reflected
light. Also polarization occurs at a certain angle. And what about the
consideration of the neutral density factor inherent in polarized
filtration?

"Move the subject to the left, or to right, or away from the tree". What if
I don't want to move the 10 ton marble statue?

"Use a reflactor".  And if the sky is overcast?

MAGENTA FILTER to the rescue.  The correct degree of filtration will not
have the opposite effect (cast a magenta hue) and a few CCs of magenta don't
amount to half the aggravation of other aids, in exposure or equipment.
How do we eliminate the bluish cast of shadow scenes? With 5CC or 10CC of
yellow, and it will hardly make a ripple in exposure compensation.
Green Cast? Magenta filter.

Now, if only I could filter the thread on taping the Leica logo (though I do
make good use of the delete key).
Joseph Codispoti