Subject: Re: [Leica] M2/M3 Rewind Crank
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 00:43:04 EDT

I use a japanese made rewind crank on my M2's and M3's. It does speed up the
rewind action considerably and so far i have never had a problem with them. On
the very early M3's ( the version with the red slot or single "off set" dot) I
would be a bit careful in using them. The shaft is less securely fastened. I
have also seen a good old 50's press photographer rewind a M3 by grabbing the
rewind knob and spinning the camera around it. I suspect that this is part of
the reputation that still saddles the early M3's "weak rewind crank" symptom!
I have also seen the same photographer loose the grip on the rewind crank and
in amazement watched as the camera flew through the air, bounced off the wall
and said photographer grabbed it on the rebound and cooly proceded to unload
the camera. Impressed the hell out of me as an aspiring pressphotographer. Let
it be said, this guys cameras were less than mint, but his pictures were top
notch.
 The aforementioned rewind crank is available in Tokyo for about US$40-45, it
is a piece of art and comes with its own allen key to attach to the rewind
knob. I hope to pick up some more on my trip there at the end of this month.
Tom A