Subject: Re: [Leica] Contax G-2
From: "Daniel Ho" <hod@MatrixMeridian.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 19:42:54 -0400

I had a G2 just prior to picking up a used M6.  The G2 is a very nice
camera.  The autofocus is fast and accurate (despite some vicious rumours),
the optics are beautiful and sharp!  The 90mm was rated the best 35mm lens
ever tested or some such thing--take THAT with a grain of salt.

It is definitely a serious photo tool worthy of your attention.  But, it all
depends on what you want it for.  It is only really similar to a M6 as they
are both rangefinders and about the same size.

If you need autofocus (it seems quite a few people seem to be picking the G
cameras because their eyesight is not as good as it used to be...) and other
automation, the choice is obvious.  With an excellent autofocus system, 4fps
winder, nice centre-weighted metering, the G2 is a shoe in with excellent
optics to boot!

If you are buying them for the lenses, that's also valid as they are VERY
nice.

However, if you want to work the same way as you would with a M6 but thought
that you could get a thoroughly "modern camera" with features to spare, this
is where you have problems.

The autofocus and winder contributes to extra noise that could detract from
candid photography.  If you need to shoot in very low light situations, the
current G2 lenses aren't all that fast (f2.8-f2) and there isn't as wide of
a variety as available with Leica.  If you shoot in remote locations and
need something that can keep on running without batteries...

So, the question isn't whether the G2 is a good camera.  There's very little
dissention on this point.  Rather, the question should be whether it will do
what you want.

Good luck!
Dan

HoD@gurus.net