Subject: [Leica] V35
From: "C.M. Fortunko" <fortunko@boulder.nist.gov>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 09:28:30 -0600

LUGs,

I also have a V35, but do not share all of Marc vitriol for this fine piece
of European engineering. However, I must say that using my new Saunders/LPL
670MXL enlarger with Nikon 63mm/2.8N lens is a whole lot more fun. For one
thing, I like the fact that I get more distance from the lens to the paper.
Also, the negative images seem brighter and more contrasty.

I still like my V35, but have come to believe that it was designed for
European flats, which have small bathrooms, and less headroom. By the way,
my Saunders appears to have a smaller footprint than the V35. Besides, it
can also do my MF negatives, which the V35 does not recognize. And I can
play with other lenses.

I do not understand why Marc has problems with his Autofocus on the V35.
Mine works fine. What I find objectionable is that getting the Autofocus to
work correctly takes a little time and requires reading the instructions.
Still, we must understand that technology does not stand still and the V35
had no equals, 25 years ago.

May be Marc bought a V35 lemon that was dropped or misaligned in some way.
Now it behaves like a sports car with a bent frame.

Best of Light,

Chris