Subject: Re: [Leica] Film for SF Trip
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:03:37 -0700

This is where I live. I have published a couple of scenic books of San
Francisco (and on Carmel, Monterey, and Pacific Grove) and I can tell you
from experience, this is Velvia / E100S(W) country. I used Velvia for all
of my book photographs. It depends upon what you are going to do with the
photographs. Slide projection? Display prints? What? Kodachrome 64 looks
great projected. Fuji is great when the sky is blue and the water falls are
white. Use a polarizer. Use a polarizer when photographing from the GG
Bridge back toward the City. Cuts through the moisture, deep blue sky,
buildings jump off the slide. Personally, I always use Velvia, unless it's
high noon and the contrast is already too high. Provia or E100 will give
more latitude. But there's a lot of different colors and Velvia will bring
them out. The hills may still be green in May. Likewise lots of green
opposite the granite walls, white waterfalls, blue sky in Yosemite. Use a
polarizer. Use slow film. Use a tripod. At least some of the time. And have
fun.

Jim