Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Leica] Pictures taken with SOOKY-M
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 23:45:37 +0200

At 14:33 28.04.1998 -0400, Art Petersen wrote:

>     I recently read (in a Leica catalog, I think) that a 50mm lens
>     most closely approximates the "angle of view" of the human eye (which
>     I guess refers to the 50mm lens's 45 degree angle of view); yet I also
>     recall reading years ago that what human eyes see as the relationship
>     among objects, near to far, is approximated by an 85mm lens.

As I said some hours ago, human perspective agrees to the 90 mm, while
the (central) angle of perception agrees to the 35 mm (though the total
angle is larger). If you concentrate on a certain subject, the angle
(of attention) is reduced to a little more than 10 degrees.

It's, at least, what physiology and perception psychology say of this
subject. I'd be astonished, if optics would claim statements which are
different to medicine.

The 50, uniting the "better" (from standpoint of perception) parts of
both, the 35 and 90, is a pretty good compromise which matches most
requirements.

Alf

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm