Subject: [Leica] Re: Noctilux - Rational lens??
From: Donald Ingram <Donald_Ingram@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 05:30:02 -0400

>I can't fully understand the desire for a Noctilux....

>The Canon 50/1 ... you get hardly any light fall-off, no tempermental
nature...

>Are you Noctilux owners in love with this lens or with f/1.0? It sounds
like f1.0, which I can understand but not with all that
>light fall-off....

Chris,

The Noctilux is simply the best f/1  ish  lens I have found, its not
perfect, but it works for me both generally and in some very demanding
astrophotography  situations where both speed of lens and film are pushed=

to the limits.

My bad experiences with the Noct-Nikkor have left me very cautious about
trying other fast lenses - its a very expensive game.

I also believe from other sources that other Nikon lenses such as the 28
f/1.4, while fine with general photography, exibit  a fuzzy rendering of
point sources.

 Other leica lenses such as the 21 Elmarit (not asph) and 35 summicron (n=
ot
asph) I have found also suffer from this but the 35 f/1.4 asph, 75 f/1.4
and 90 f/2 all produce sharp stars - Leica will tell you this if you ask
but:: when I tried contacting Leica, Nikon and Cannon to ask specifically=

how their lenses performed with point sources such as stars - only Leica
responded -  the furthest the others were willing to go was to read me  t=
he
brochures.

I would certainly like to try canon both for their 24 f/1.4 and the 50 f/=
1
- - but someone will have to prove to me first that they are up to the task=
=2E

Did you get a chance to do some  astrophotoraphy with the canon f/1 lens
when you had it? I would be interested to hear more of how the canon lens=

performed. =

Donald