Subject: Re: [Leica] Films and Developers
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 19:49:25 +0100

Tina wrote:

<<<<I was interested in using Scala for B&W slides, but when I asked Agfa about
the possibility of fading with projection or storage they wouldn't give me
a straight answer.  Does anybody have any experience with this film?  I
found directions on how to develop it myself, but I'm not interested if the
slides are going to fade into oblivion! >>>>>

Hi Tina,

I don't know about fading into oblivion, (some day maybe) :)  but I shot
some for this year's seminar and I liked what I saw. My biggest complaint
is the cost!!!!!!!!!!

It's around $30.00 dollars a roll plus!  Purchase to receiving the slides
back and that's a bunch to swallow for anyone but a millionaire, which I'm
not and most other LUGNUTS aren't.

However, the results are quite amazing. Nice rich blacks and whites like
almost looking at a real B&W print. It never occurred to me to process my
own, as I've gone that route with T-max 100 and Kodak Reversal kits. Nice
results, but a big pain in the butt for processing!

This year we are copying all the B&W lecture prints on Scala (hey what the
hell it's only my money) :) and hopefully, we'll dispense with doing our
own lab thing for a change and better results. (God I hope so!)

If Scala doesn't produce the results I want, we recopy every B&W print and
do the KODAK reversal thing. Damn!

Scala is an interesting film, but I think you really have to "think
transparency" when you shoot it and not B&W negative. And you must bracket
as in colour slide film.

Only then, can you achieve the best results.

ted