Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Gripe
From: "Harrison McClary" <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:50:55 +0000

> I wonder if I might ask a question of the above poster?
>
> What does <<<the on off switch needs A LOT of work>>>>>  mean?
>
> As in what kind of work? How would you fix it? And what does "A LOT"
> constitute?
>
> It is always easy to make comments of this nature. However, it is a
> more informative  posting if you include "what you would do!" Rather
> than just pointing out something that doesn't seem to bother any of
> the rest of the R8 owners.
>
> May I ask that you give some suggestions to what you would do and
> the reason for your comment?  Thank you,

Well, Ted, when I miss shots because the camera gets turned off while
covering a news situation I tend to get a little pissed off at the
camera.  This is the first camera I have used in over 10 years of news
photography that has this problem. I was shooting the damage from the
tornado that hit Nashville with the 180 elmarit on my R8, and using
the 90 summicron on my R6 and 28 elmarit on my M6. When I carry
multiple cameras and one has a lens like the 180 on it I turn the lens
so that it is falling into my body so that I do not bang it into
things while walking around.  When walking with the lens on the body
the camera would bump against my side and cause the mode switch to
change.  I don't know how you carry long lenses on your cameras, but
you may do so differently than I and therefore you would not have this
problem.    If this had happened only one time I would have attributed
it to bad luck, but it happened 4 times in the course of 3 hours
shooting and I missed several nice frames because of this.

I think the switch needs to be made in some manner, like say on the R6
where it can be changed only with the intent to change it. Or the
switch could be made with a second button needing to be depressed
first to allow the mode selector switch to be changed.  To have it
where only a slight resistance needs overcoming to change the mode
from on to OFF to P, A, F, M and others is just silly.  As, I am sure
you know, when working news there are NO second chances to get a
moment and I hate to miss the moment because the DAMN selector switch
is easily changed and the camera has gone from M setting to OFF.
Something like a mode selector should not be as easily changed as the
shutter speed.  IMO.

Also Eric, and maybe one or two others, have said they have had the
same problem, so this is not a totally isolated incident.

I really like the R8, but it is not perfect and having the mode
selector switch set up in a manner where it can be changed so easily
is one thing that I think needs re-working badly.

As I also said before, when I am working in this manner in the future
I am taping the mode selector in place so it will not change on me.  I
just think it is silly to have to get a $2000.00 camera gooey with
tape just to keep the mode set where you want it.
Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto