Subject: Re: [Leica] All kinds of music? Bah
From: RBedw51767 <RBedw51767@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 05:52:48 EDT

<< m with Mike. One doesn't have to like everything, or say that something
 else is "bad" just because one doesn't like it. I HATE rap and alanis
 morriset, or whoever. Elevator music makes my skin crawl. Tchaikovsky's
 March Slav with a xylophone and saxophone with Mitch Miller's choir humming
 in the background just doesn't do it for me, no matter how soft it is!

 I don't like Gary Winogrand, Helmut Newton, Witkin, most of Mapplethorps's
 work, or photojournalists who "set up" their pictures.

 But I like Duane Michals, Kertesz, Ansel Adams, Steichen (now there's a
 pair!) Natchwey, Minor White and Gene Smith (he set things up, but that was
 before photojournalism eithics were mature), Sam Abell, Bill Allard, Ernst
 Haas, Eli Reed, Alex Webb, Jim Stanfield...

 That's quite an eclectic group, but it works for me! And a bunch of them
 were Leica users. >>

Eric:

I agree with almost everything you have said which is unusual for me.  Most of
the time I like to take an opposite view just to stimulate conversation.  I
don't understand Rap.  Perhaps I have mindblock and simply don't want to.  I
don't love Blue Grass music but I sure appreciate the art of it.  Leica
cameras amongst blue grassers is an absolute hoot!   Great photo
opportunities. Isn't it really great that we have chocolate and vanilla?  I am
weird, I prefer vanilla.  I will also set down my Leica to hear Shostakovich,
Schubert, Mahler, Copland, Beethoven, Bartok, Kodaly and Verdi.  Several of
these composers have the same affect on people as rap.  I also understand and
love Picasso.  I have been thinking about framing my Leicas and hanging them
on the wall.  Right up there with Picasso, right?

Bob Bedwell