Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 vs. R7
From: ATanabe <ATanabe@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 02:17:42 EDT

Andrew,

<<  Is the 1/100 sec
 flash synchronization of the R7  compared to the R8's 1/250sec a serious
 drawback in flash photography, especially for fill flash? >>

I used to think it was a big deal until I thought about shooting my experience
with leaf shutter cameras.  I very rarely shot with high shutter speeds 1/250
and above.  So do I miss giving up 1.25 stops? no.
<< R5 to R7?>>
I changed from R5 to R7s about a year before the R8 was introduced.  I like
the R7 for the TTL metering and 1/2 stop shutter speeds and finder display.
To switch at this time given the options, I would wait for the R8 to drop in
price (used ones are $1800) if that is the direction that you want to pursue.
I still have my R7s and most likely will keep them for a long time.  I
personally feel that while the R8 is a wonderful camera, it just feels too
large in my hands.  Shoot with what feels comfortable to you, as we all know
some on the board love older cameras and will never change because that is
what feels right to them.
Al