Subject: [Leica] Mike's Ten Books
From: Mike Johnston <70007.3477@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 13:29:19 -0400

Mike's Ten Books to keep ya thinkin'

(Note: a few of these books you won't be able to buy. Sorry!)

1. Stephen Shore, _The Nature of Photographs_ (just out from Johns Hopkins
Press).

2. John Szarkowski, _Looking At Photographs_. The best book ever written about
photographs IMHO and the book to have if you only have one book.

3. David Vestal, _The Craft of Photography_.

4. Eugene Herrigel, _Zen and the Art of Archery_. The book famously cited by
Cartier-Bresson as an explanation of his shooting technique. It makes for a
field of endless fascination if you are willing to mentally conflate "shooting"
a bow-and-arrow and "shooting" photographs as you read, as Cartier-Bresson
intends you to.

5. Roland Barthes, _Camera Lucida_. Don't count on understanding this the first
time through. Barthes rewards re-reading.

6. Karin Becker Orne, _Dorothea Lange and the Documentary Tradition_. A good
book about photography's most important function. (Michael Lesy's _Wisconsin
Death Trip_ might be substituted by the stout of heart.)

7. _The Chinese Scholar's Studio: Artistic Life in the Late Ming Period_
(Thames and Hudson). A museum catalog that explores the values and practice of
the Chinese _literati_.

8. John Szarkowski, _William Eggleston's Guide_. The best book of color
photography yet published, by a considerable margin in my judgement. An
excellent although not perhaps indispensable essay is as enjoyble as the
pictures. This is to the 1960s as Walker Evans's _American Photographs_ is to
the 1930s.

9. David Pye, _The Nature and Art of Workmanship_. Another book, like Vestal's,
about craft.

10. Ray McSavaney, _Explorations_. McSavaney would be my choice as the greatest
large-format photographer now living. He's an even better photographic
craftsman than Ansel Adams was. The texts are wooden and not very valuable, but
the pictures are amazing.

There are only two monographs on the above list, but I thought I'd include the
following anyway.

How to "read" a photographic monograph:

get yourself an egg timer--3 minutes to five minutes will do. Sit in a
comfortable chair next to a good light with a book of pictures. Start at the
beginning. Read what there is to read. When you come to a picture, start he
timer. Keep your eyes on the opened spread for as long as the timer runs. Turn
the page, reset the timer.

Most people think they can "get" photographs by glancing at them. Everything
about our society's superficial use and understanding of photographs and indeed
all visual media encourages this misconception. However, it isn't true.

Don't restrict yourself to books of photographs you think you "like." In fact,
this often works better, and is more enjoyable, with books of pictures you
think you _don't_ like.

Let you mind wander if you wish as you look at the pictures. You don't have to
think about anything in particular. Just keep looking. As soon as you get tired
or find the exercise tiresome, stop. Mark your place and come back to the book
the next night.

A few months to a year later, re-"read" the same book the same way.

If you'll follow this simple mechanical excercise with a few great monographs
of photographs, I can almost promise you that you're in for an enlightening and
enjoyable experience.

All Best,

Mike J.