Subject: Re: [Leica] DOF indicator
From: "Lee Yan Zhan" <yzlee@cyberway.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:05:44 +0800

Marc,

I took my M2 instruction book out to understand this further.  It reads :

"The rangefinder of your Leica M2 also enables you to check whether a
subject in front of, or behind, the point of sharpest focus will be
acceptably sharp or not.  For this you use the projections at the top and
bottom edges of the rangefinder field rectangule.  These projections show
the depth of field of a standard 50mm lens, the lower for the all round
aperture of f/5.6, and the upper for f/16.  After focusing the subject of
major importance, the appropriate projection is superimposed on other
subjects before and/or behind the point of focus.  If the seperation of the
double image outlines still lies within this projection, the image will be
acceptably sharp.  To use this special device most effectively, it is
advisable to test only the edges of the foreground and background
subjects."

My question are :

1.  Is this only for 50mm lens?
2.  Is this only for between f/5.6 to 16?
3.  How do you see this double superimposed image against the top and
bottom notches?  Try focusing on a on my sofa then looked at the TV behind.
 I see double image of the TV and it looks like its between the upper
notch.  My metered aperture is F2.8.  How do I relate this to the f16?

Appreciate your kind clarification.

Regards,

Lee
Fellow Lugger from Singapore

It sounds like in practical, this is also useful for other lens and
apertures.