Subject: [Leica] Online specs for M and R cameras
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 11:57:28 -0400

On April 17, Martin V Howard wrote:

> I'd also like an SLR outfit.  I love the feel of mechanical
>cameras and have up till now been considering either the Canon F1 or the=

>Nikon F2.

>Until, that is, I heard of the Leicaflex SL.

Martin,

If the "feel" of a mechanical camera is what excites you then nothing les=
than one of the Leicaflexes (Standard, SL or SL2) will do.

The Standard (the original Leicaflex) has an external meter and a
non-focussing viewscreen which is not suitable for macro or long-lens wor=
k.

The SL has a spot meter and an exceptional full-focussing viewscreen.  As=

Eric wrote, some of the current lenses cannot be used on the SL.

The SL2 has an extended metering range and a viewscreen with a split-imag=
focussing aid (I prefer the SL's viewscreen w/o the split-image thingie),=

and a re-pivoted mirror which permits lenses with minolta-spec backfocus =
be used.

The SL2 prices are driven by collectors, as are the prices of black-finis=
SL bodies.  If you are looking for a user camera a chrome SL is your best=

bet.

- -Doug