Subject: Re: [Leica] New Epson Photo Printer- Review
From: Sean Murphy <murfman@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 23:30:42 -0700

Richard Clompus wrote:

> Dear Fellow LUGnuts,
>

> Epson also has a professional color printer, model 5000, that will
> serve as
> a pre-press color printer with a level of quality not seen in other
> printers.  This will be released this Summer.

    The information available that I looked at indicated the largest
page for
    the new photo printer is 8 1/2 X 11.  The 5000 series printer should
take
    care of larger sheets but is much more expensive

> Bill Grimwood wrote:

   Thanks for the infor on the printer Richard.  I want a printer that
will
print up to a 11 x 14. or 11 x 17 in regular paper format.  Will either
of
these do that?

Hi folks,

I have an Epson Pro5000 in my office, (my company is a reseller) and it
is a beauty!. It will print a full 11x17 has 1440 x 720 resolution, 6
ink heads (CMYK+light Cyan +light Magenta) that shoot a drop 3 times
smaller than previous heads. It can have two paper trays for high
volumes or two sizes of paper online. It comes with an EFI postscript
rip with connectivity to Win95, Mac and Unix. This rip has color tables
built in for a number of high end CMYK proofing systems (Waterproof
FujiColor Art etc) that can be modified easily by the end user. Epson
and Dupont are offering high grade photo and proofing (for pre-press)
papers; but it can print on any paper up to 200 pound cardstock! When
the Epson/Dupont photo glossy papers are used the results are stunning,
its the kind of output that a professional photographer would think is a
color print.The prints that I have made have full rich tonality, detail
even in high key and light quarter tones; deep blacks! Cost of ink and
paper for the highest quality is about $7.00, the lowest is about .70.

Cost for this machine is the only downside for individuals (but maybe
not if you are used to buying a lot of Leica gear):$11,000. However it
has no duty cycle, it can run continously for 10-12 hours a day; if it
breaks and you have the extended warranty ($850.00) Epson will ship you
a brand new machine next day FedEX! This is a machine that is designed
to go directly after the Iris Ink Jet and all DyeSublimation printers.
Is smokes both catagories. Justy feed it a high quality scan and smile!

Sean