Subject: [Leica] Jim,Ted, Alf & Margaret Bourke-White / Travel kit.
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 02:10:14 EDT

 In a message dated 98-04-18 00:20:00 EDT, Jim wrote:
<<
 OK Alf, I'll take only one lens. But I'll borrow the rest from you when I
 get to Germany... OK?

 Margaret Bourke-White must have been the Queen of equipment safaris.
 If you compare Jims kit to hers,  Jim is definitely lacking at least a car-
 load and several dozen cargo-bearers, but of course she only shot the
 Russian War, along with Erskine Caldwell. (didn't shoot Erskine, just
 married him).

 All kidding aside, I think the answer is in knowing ahead of time where
 your interest lies.  Going to Europe is not going the Moon and if you are
 going to spend much time enjoying landscapes, like Jim does, then take
 the same gear you use here.  If you are going to to shoot Bull-fights or
 other sports events, then take long lenses like Ted Grant does.

 Of course, being a purist - I imagine there would never be the thought of
 using a zoom lens.  I have been abroad several dozen times and I would
 advise pre-testing of your film and taking along no more than you would
 carry in the US for only a three week trip.  Certainly this would be the
 ideal time to use a Tri-Elmar with a Summilux for back-up.  Please don't
 make the mistake of taking so much that it becomes a constant worry to
 you and spoils your trip.

 Anyway Bon - Voyage Jim & take your film in "bricks"

 Marvin Moss