Subject: Re: [Leica] Two or three lens travel kit.
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:53:49 -0400

Georgette Oden wrote:

> Mainly I'm not thinking of my Leica as a travel-oriented camera, although
> it can be ideal for that.  I'm thinking of it as a photojournalist's
> camera, tiny, quiet, light, unintimidating to children/folk in the 3rd
> World, and to the uninitiated, doesn't scream "steal me" like an F5 (or my
> EOS) does.  I have to have pretty fast lenses, which is why I'm thinking a
> 35/1.4 and a 90/2.  (Flash can be so distracting that I'd rather use 3200
> film and have the lens wide open than deal with a flash.) I'll also be
> carrying my EOS (and probably my FT2 as well...) but not around my neck...
> those will be in the pack.  Easily half the weight of my standard journey
> backpack is cameras/film... maybe 3 changes of clothes and a spare pair of
> shoes, maybe not.  Gotta have priorities. :)
>
> Georgette

Georgette,

I hope you realize some of the complexities and dangers inherent to
where you're going. Many of the photojournalists working in those areas
have well-developed relationships and good logistical support. And they
still get in trouble.

Photography and photojournalism can be a ticket to ride but they can
also get you in places where you can be in over your head very quickly.
Places where they use real bullets. Places where people kill without
compunction. It's not Texas, Toto.

That being said, I wish you the best.

Carl S.
- --
Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do.