Subject: Re: [Leica] Mercury Cell Ban & Fish
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:31:21 -0400

Environmental hysteria is quite a problem. Same thing happened when the
'scientific' community discovered that dichlorodifluorocarbons broke down
into elemental chlorine which destroys ozone. Suddenly we had a crisis. Of
course, we don't consider volcanic activity (Mt. Pinatubo put more chlorine
in the atmosphere in one eruption, than man has ever produced!) since you
can't regulate that with government edicts.
We hear so much about 'greenhouse gases' like carbon dioxide, but the Earth
surface is 70% water, and water vapour is...a greenhouse gas! The same
ridiculous thing goes for those besotted fools counting cow flatus in the
cattle growing regions; no one worried about bovine flatus when there were
millions of bison roaming the West, polluting the air- and we're still here!
Even in photography, things change according to what is politically correct.
I remember the E-3 and E-4 processes where supplanted by the E-6 process,
the EP-2 by the RA-4, and that Cibachrome was a particularly nasty smelly
process that had to be neutralized before disposal because of environmental
concerns.
I am not totally anti-environment! Some things benefit us all such as silver
recovery. We are regulated to keep silver from our effluent to below
something like 10 ppm in the lab. However, it is also an economic concern in
that with little effort we keep from flushing money down the drain,
literally.
I use the silver oxide 625s in my SL, and the meter is dead-on with my R7
and R4; I don't know whether it is due to a voltage regulator in the camera,
or if Leica adjusted it when I sent it in for a CLA.
Well, so much for my soapbox session. Best of light, whether measured with
alkaline or mercury cells!
Dan'l
dwpost@msn.com