Subject: Re: [Leica] Travelin' the midwest
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:48:58 -0500

Tom,
The Voyager Park is VERY beautiful.  You can rent house boats there but I
don't know when the season starts or if you'll need a reservation.  I don't
know of any other way to see the Park unless you have your own boat.  The
best way to do it is to share a house boat with friends/relatives so you can
share the cost.  It takes a bit of planning.

If you drive around Lake Superior you can take a boat to Isle Royal from the
North Shore/Arrowhead region of Minnesota.  You can also drive up the
Gunflint trail to the Canadian border but you'll have to backtrack to U.S.
2.  In Duluth there is a big lake freighter than you can tour that's
interesting.  The drive between Thunder Bay, Ont. and Wawa goes through some
really unique and beautiful country.

I've photographed moose on the Gunflint and around Wawa.  My wife and I
spent the better part of an hour trying to outwit a wolf on the Gunflint.
It was wet and he wanted to stay on the road but every time we would get
close to him he'd go off the road.  Finally, we drove past him, parked and
waited for him to come to us.  He came trotting right into the viewfinder of
my SL with a 180 Elmar attached.  Even though I was braced over the top of
the car, I had a bad case of nerves and blew a rare opportunity.  Actually,
I think he caught a whiff of my wife's 190D diesel and didn't hang around
very long.

Anywhere around Lake Superior is beautiful country and you can't go wrong.
BTW, bring binoculars.
Bud Cook