Subject: Re: [Leica] Travel in the upper Midwest
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 18:52:20 -0600

>Niagara falls would be a challenge.  It's spectacular and awesome but must
>be impossible to capture the power of that moving water or the impression
>of noise on still film.  BTW what ever happened to those stunts like going
>over in a barrel?  Or walking over on a high wire?

Stunting around Niagara Falls was banned.  Anyone who tries those things
now gets arrested and put in jail.  At one time, when it was allowed, it
used to be a way of getting quick publicity and notoriety.
   Last years someone tried to go over the falls in a barrel. (It had been
done successfully and unsuccessfully several times before.) The barrel got
hung up on the rocks before going over, and there was quite a dramatic
rescue with firetrucks, helicopters, police ... the whole nine yards. It
was very expensive to tie up all of those emergency rescue services to try
to rescue some thrill seeker.  That's one main reason for the ban.
   Another is ... A few years ago someone went over in a kayak, swinging
his paddle like a lassoing rodeo rider as he went over the edge.  A couple
of days later they were still looking for the body, and I can't recall if
they ever found it!

- -GH