Subject: Re: [Leica] Jammed M3
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 21:10:16 -0700

Hi Claes,

Yes, the slow speeds often are at fault in this type of jam. I believe
it is because there is a different escapement used to time the speeds
below 1/50th. I suspect the lack of use causes them to 'gum up' sooner. =

It has been recommended to 'exercise' these slow speeds to help prevent
such a problem. =

If it does jam on you I don't think the cost will be any more than a
normal CLA.

Regards, Dennis

Claes Bjerner wrote:
> =

> >Hi Claes,
> >
> >This sounds like your M3 is in need of CLA. The film advance will appe=
ar
> >jammed (it does not function) until the shutter has completed its
> >cycle.  In your case you 'helped' the cycle along but I fear it will
> >happen again.
> >
> >Dennis
> =

> Dennis,
> =

> You might be very right about the need of a CLA! And if this jamming pr=
oblem occurs again I will certainly hand it in for a complete overhaul. H=
owever, I still haven=B4t had any problems with the various shutter speed=
s. The exposure always seems to be all right. Isn=B4t too slow shutter sp=
eeds usually the first sign of an overhaul need?
> =

> Claes
> =

> Steven wrote:
> =

> >so glad it worked - be careful with making sure shutter mechanism has
> >completed cycle (slower speeds) before advancing - should help too
> =

> Once again thank you very much, Steven! And your theory that the jammin=
g might have been caused by not allowing the completion of the cycle befo=
re advancing might very well be true. And now I want to confess that it w=
asn=B4t really myself who played with the camera when it jammed! It was m=
y young son-in-law, Daniel, who had no previous experience of Leica camer=
as. But it was me who actually encouraged him to listen to the unique Lei=
ca sound with different shutter speeds. He probably set it for a w
> =

> Claes

- -- =

Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown