Subject: [Leica] Minimalist Photography
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:35:40 -0700

Just got back a series of chromes shot in and around Seattle with the M6HM,
35/1.4 ASPH and E200.  I can't describe how pleased I am with the results.
My first few attempts with the M6s were pretty bad, with a fair number of
poorly focused/exposed frames per roll.  In this latest series, I'm very
pleased with the exposures, many of which were made under poor lighting
conditions (low light, savage backlight).  And I'm amazed at how easy it has
been to get used to the M6's rangefinder focusing.  Many of the shots were
quick grabs and, at the time, I doubted I'd focused accurately, but they
look great.  Metering is actually simpler than with my auto cameras because
there's no second-guessing the meter.  You just meter what you want and
shoot.  Gee, what a concept... ;-)  Trading the Contax G2 kit for the Leicas
was one of the best decisions ever.

Never thought that such a bone simple camera would be such a pleasure to
use!

- --Jim Laurel
Seattle, WA