Subject: Re: [Leica] offtopic: harsh light filters
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:47:35 -0700

I'm just back from a trip there myself (a couple of days in Sydney, then a
week or so in western New South Wales and central Queensland). I don't
ordinarily shoot much color, but the light there is usually so clear and
sharp that it seems criminal to pass up shooting some chromes (Sydney was
an exception this time, as bush fires north of the city made for hazy
conditions). The trick is to get up early and shoot until about 10:00 a.m.
After that, the light starts to flatten out until early evening, when it
can get interesting again. Also, it was hitting 40C during the middle of
the day, which doesn't really encourage you to stand around and wait for
the light to do something interesting. If you're shooting during mid-day
there, you're going to get harsh, contrasty photos. One thing that I do to
reduce that effect is to shoot Kodachrome 25 -- there's plenty of light,
and that film at least gives you a chance of a decent picture in contrasty
situations. Fill-in flash will work in mid-day light to illuminate faces,
with that film and a Leica M, though I didn't use it myself. You might also
try having a few of your prints custom-printed, to see if was really just
the light in Australia, or an autoexposure printer going off the scale.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.