Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos and Art
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:15:35 -0700

At 09:23 AM 4/13/98 -0700, you wrote:
>You guys see ONE lousy photograph from this woman and
>immediately jump to the conclusion that she is the "worst"
>photographer you have ever learned about and that her "stuff
>is disgusting?"  A bit out of line, don't you think?

No.

If it's printed in a national magazine with kudos about her being a new
discovery, I have to assume that the printed photograph is one of her best.
You certainly wouldn't print one of her worst for an announcement. So as
one of the best, I do not wish to see the rest. That one is disgusting
enough. And as represented in this announcement, she is indeed the worst
photographer I have ever learned about. This is my honest opinion. What was
printed in the magazine was neither art, nor photography. What she is
perpetrating on the artsy fartsy crowd is fraud as far as I'm concerned.
But to each his own. If someone wants to pay big bucks for unrecognizable,
blurry, images of who knows what, more fool them. Before long, pictures of
excrement will be commanding huge sums. Actually, from the looks of that
image on page 19, it already is.

Jim