Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: important court ruling [LONG]
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 10:57:27 -0800

Dan Cardish wrote:

>  The fact that a photographer might
> be capable of taking a wonderfull work of Art photographing me eating an
> icecream cone in the park changes nothing.  He simply doesn't have the
> right without my cooperation, unless I happen to be an incidental part of
> the picture (read the ruling).  There is simply nothing in Quebec's Charter
> of Rights which puts the rights of Artists or Photographers above those of
> the citizens.

Indeed, Dan, in the US it is the right of the citizens that is premier.
The public is best served, in the long run, by open information.  Yes,
perhaps a few people get hurt now and again.  But to restrict the free
press and free expression would risk, in the ultimate, oppression.  I am
sure most politicians and celebrities would love such laws as Quebec
apparently has.  Then they could control the media even more and we
would have even less access to information.

It is not about photographer's rights.  It is about the rights of the
citizens.  Plural.

donal

- --
Donal Philby