Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie to be -- My experiences with G2 / M options?
From: TEAShea <TEAShea@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:53:32 EDT

<<  It  isn't the price of the body, but rather the glass that seems high to
me.
 However, as my idea is to "simplify, simplify, simplify", I will likely only
 get one lens (either the 35mm f2 or f1.4), so cost isn't that big of a
 concern.

If you only want to use a 35 mm lens, I would recommend the classic M6 rather
than the HM version.  I wear glasses and find the 35 frame line of the HM to
be quite usable, but I prefer to use my classic M6 for a 35 mm lens.

As far as which 35 mm lens, if cost is no object you might consider the 1.4
aspherical.  While the 2.0 aspherical has slightly better corner sharpness at
2.0, the difference is only revealed under very rigorous circumstances.  The
2.0 is somewhat smaller but not substantially so.  Since you are only going to
get one lens, the extra stop may be of assistance on occasion.  However, both
lenses are excellent - significantly better than any other 35 I have.

The best evalution I have seen of these lenses is Erwin's -
www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html

Tom Shea