Subject: Re: [Leica] Jugement de la cour supreme du CANADA
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 23:23:48 -0500

At 08:59 PM 4/12/98 -0400, you wrote:

>responsible newspaper photographer will get (and probably always has been
>getting) a release if he/she photographs someone eating an ice cream cone
>in the park to illustrate an article on the coming of Spring.  Just makes
>sense.  Hard news pictures will still be published without being affected
>by the ruling.  Life will go on.

Actually, newspaper photographers here do not need releases. That's a big
benefit of working here, and why we find this ruling troublesome. All we
need is to have to get someone to sign a piece of paper. They are often
suspicious of what we will be doing with our pictures (other than just
putting it in the paper) already without them thinking we're going to make
a killing (money-wise) off their picture. I think you have to be a
newspaper photographer here to understand why it would be a problem.

It wouldn't be the single situation where we'd need a release a problem,
but what about a parade? (I hardly consider parades news).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.