Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: important court ruling [LONG]
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 00:43:35 -0400

Danny wrote:

<<<<Whenever I've encountered someone on the street whom believes that
they're within their rights to stop me from photographing, they've _quickly
taken to  physically stopping me from photographing.>>>>>>

Danny,

I have a pretty simple way out of it, unless it is absolutely essential I
have pictures. Then it becomes a whole new ball game and even then I walk
gently.

Let me explain:  Nothing is gained by confrontation! Certainly if you are
happy snapping along the byways and highways just doing street or scenic
shooting.  It is much easier to back off, excuse yourself and move on,
there is always a better one just around the corner.

However, if it is a news or serious picture taking situation and you
require pictures, you still avoid the confrontation-physical thing,
particularly if it is the police or fire department.

The best thing to do is get out of there as fast as you can, get out the
long glass and find a high sight line back to what you are trying to shoot.
But now you're working with a 280 2.8 or 400 2.8 and a 1.4X and possibly a
2X added or using one or the other extenders singly.

You can circumvent many confrontation situations simply by using your
equipment to win the shoot out!

Besides I hate being hurt! :) Just smile and back off, getting your camera
smashed or your ass kicked isn't worth it. This is always the time to use
your head and beat them with brains and long glass! :)

ted