Subject: [Leica] News photo & art
From: FSilberman <FSilberman@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 15:06:15 EDT

Harrison McClary wrote:

<<By saying he is not an artist Eric is not underestimating the value of
his work, nor implying that he thinks his images are of less value
than an "artist".

Eric is a news photographer and we news photographers kinda get a
little ticked when people start accusing us of being artists. >>

Oh yes, I know what you mean. I'm a graphic designer & that hit's a cord =
with=0Ame. When peo call us artists=96 "graphic artists" as opposed to wh=
at we are=0A"Designers." they demean what we do. Somewhat like news photo=
graphy there are=0Aparalells: someone who does an assignment has an objec=
tive he is being payed=0Ato produce. More clearly, the designer begins wi=
th a problem defined by the=0Aclient,(not the artist), & the designer has=
 to find the solution to fit the=0Aneeds of the client. Artist work from =
a diff perspective

Frederic=0A