Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and Minolta identical calculation
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 12:19:33 -0500

At 10:31 AM 4/12/98 -0400, you wrote:

>One thing I don't understand is why the current 28-70 and 35-70 lenses do not
>have parallel focussing mounts.  Sure makes it hard to use a polarizer on
>them.

Bill,

Thanks for the correction. I guess maybe that lens might be a good choice
too, but the 35-70 focuses so close, that's pretty attractive.

The main reason they do that, in my experience is to keep the size of the
lens down. To keep it from turning, it takes a lot more "guts" that take up
space and weight in the lens. I don't  use a polarizer enough to grumble
about it. In fact, right now, the only polarizer I have is 60mm - for my 75
Summilux - which I have yet to use (the pol).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Miracles are not contrary to nature, only what we know about nature.

St. Augustine.