Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: important court ruling [LONG]
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 10:57:50 -0400

Dan Cardish wrote:

<<<<Its not a new law in Quebec.  It is part of the province's
Constitution.>>>>>>>

Dan,
That maybe the case, but the background that probably started all this has
nothing to do with infringement of rights at all. The subject provably
figured she could get "money if she sued"!!!!!! Whined about it and got a
money grubbing lawyer into the act and now where the hell are all the
photographers.  Even good old Celine Dion whips out her instamatic, takes a
picture and lands in jail! :)

If the story implied in the picture she was selling her bod and it was
belittling and embarrassing for her. Then that becomes a whole new ball
game.

Forget about what the newspaper can or cannot publish if you are standing
in public at a demonstration or eating an ice cream cone....you are out in
public and that happens to make you fair game in the face of life.

If this ruling sticks, it means that every photographer walking the
Province of Quebec with a Leica or any other camera shooting documentary
projects is now liable. So how long do you think HCB would have lasted in
Quebec back when he was brought in by the National Film Board to do his
magic throughout Quebec?

Hell under this ruling he'd still be in the slammer serving time. It's a
damn ridiculous ruling and a complete infringement on everyones rights with
a camera walking the streets of Quebec!

Thank God we in Greater Canada have better freedom of movement and laws to
take our Leicas and shoot where we feel our emotions and sight lead us.

Only in Quebec would they come-up with such a Neanderthal ruling in this
day and age of enlightenment and freedom.  God help the people if they ever
separate. Everyone will have to carry identification papers much like the
Nazis forced everyone to do in their time.

I realize this is not necessarily a direct LUG topic, however it is!
Because it means every photographer can be arrested or charged under the
ruling and many LUG members visit this country, well OK Quebec, from our
southern neighbors and they should be made aware of what they could run
into.

ted