Subject: [Leica] Photo editing
From: Yods1 <Yods1@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 01:51:40 EDT

	Thanks to Donal and Eric for their replies on photo editing. I really
appreciated Eric's Kuykendall quote and wish it were a widespread disposition
among editors. I can't help but wonder though whether Donal's vision is closer
to a teacher-pupil relationship rather than a mutually professional one. The
only observation I'd like to make regarding the skills he attributes to great
editors is that those very same skills are also possessed by many of the great
photographers those editors are fortunate enough to work with.
	For every editor who's inspired me there have been ten photographers (or
writers, for that matter) who've inspired me more. And it seems to me that
star-struck photographers are more often impressed by the publication and/or
prestige associated with that particular editor rather than anything
meaningful.
	Yes, there are some really great editors out there, and I've had one or two
(unfortunately) short but very sweet experiences working with them. I think
the most inspiring editor I've encountered, coming from my limited and dearly
missed freelancing days, was Colin Jacobson. It might have been my mistaken
impression (it's probably impossible to micro-manage a California photographer
from London), but his gracious nature and trust that I'd do my best inspired
and drove me more than any others have. I'd pitch an idea. He'd get back to me
and say "how long do you need?" I'd say four or five days. He'd say "OK, give
a call when you're done, right?" There was of course more to most of the
exchanges than that, but to this day I wish I would have done better work for
him.
	Dave