Subject: Re: [Leica] Subjective lens impressions
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:29:06 +0200

I have been talking to differrent Leica users for 25 years, and the only
lens that I have heard about in this context is the thin Tele-Elmarit
90/2,8. It was at a local Leica club meeting, where the lecturer (a Swedish
pro photographer) said that he had to try out 4 samples of this lens in
order to find a good one. That is what he said, but I don't know if there is
any substance in his story.

Talking about subjective lens impressions, I will take the opportunity to
tell you that I have tried out my two new AlS-Nikkors 85/1,4 and 135/2,0.
Both lenses are producing very nice images wide open, and I think that the
AlS 135/2,0 is sharper wide open than the AF 135/2,0 that I used two years
ago. But I have nothing to publish yet, as I only have family portraits (and
pictures of our two cats).
Weather has been awful in Sweden the last few weeks. In order to force
myself to do something positive with my cameras, I went to a well known
"factory outlet" in Ullared, where people queue up for hours before they are
let inside the shops. I walked around with two Nikons for 1/2 an hour, but
felt soon uncomfortable with the weight. I dumped the Nikon gear in the
trunk of my car, and took two M:s for the rest of the day, and felt much
more in the mood for photography. I hope to have some decent images on these
films.

One of the Gothenburg Leica club members have recently bought the
APO-Summicron-R 180/2,0 for his R8, and showed frame filling facial B/W
portraits made by it. Outstanding images of course, but the lens weighs a
lot, and is best used on a tripod/monopod. However, I think this is the best
180 mm lens money can buy.
/Hans