Subject: Re: [Leica] Misc condensed thoughts
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:55:22 -0500

At 10:58 AM 4/10/98 -0600, you wrote:

>I probably responded least of all to the stained glass images, yet they were
>well-crafted. Why? Because while these might be part of an effective series
>of images, alone, they do not tell me how it feels to be standing in that
>space, amidst those illuminated panes; I have a number of such photos

I know exactly what you mean. I just liked the pictures. I'm taking them
this way for a specific reason. I do have some pictures from the past that
have the kind of "being there" kind of experience. But in this case, I'm
actually working on a project on different stained glass in many churches
around the area. Only one of the convent pictures on my web site will
actually run in the paper.

>Freeman Patterson has, unfortunately, chosen to put few images on his site,
>but he's published an artist's statement which is well worth a read:
>http://www.houssennet.nb.ca/pub/DEC/artstate.htm
>What can you say about a man who can create magic from such simple subject
>matter as sunlight shining on his dining table?

I am a big fan of Freeman Patterson. He wrote his dissertation on religion
and photography when he was studying to be a minister, which fortunately
didn't happen. Not that he wouldn't have made a good minister, but we'd
miss his wonderful eye!

I asked him if he still had the dissertation when I met him in Saskatoon
(at the camera store where I saw my first Leica!), but he said someone had
stolen it from the library where it was stored. Too bad, I'd like to see
what he had to say about that subject.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

They have what is rare in still photography - the mobility of film, motion,
evanescence, fluidity...your camera has a thousand eyes which are directed
by love and feeling.

- -Anias Nin