Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens & Film Contrast
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 20:50:34 -0500

At 11:47 AM 4/7/98 +0000, you wrote:
>LUGgers -
>
>As many of you know by now, I uses Leica R6's and a Nikon F5.  I only have
>one Nikon lens (the 50/1.4 AF-D) and have found this lens to yield "too

The image of tail wagging dog comes to mind. :-)

>lens problem, but a film problem.  This argument suggests that a lens cannot
>ADD contrast to an image, it can only allow as much light to pass to film,
>thanks to better coatings and flare control.  In other words, a high
>contrast lens is a "good" thing.  Of course, a "good" thing in theory may be
>not so good in practice with high contrast slide films, right?

Contrast in a lens is totally unrelated to contrast in film. High contrast
lenses give us nice sharp looking pictures, and good separation in "local
contrast" - that is, there's good contrast in the shadows, in the
highlights and the mid-tones. So a contrasty lens is a good thing, even
with contrasty film.

But in the Leica vs. Nikon discussion you bring up, the contrast in the
Leica lenses in shadows are great, and allow for a better tonal modulation,
thus smoother looking tonal relationships. I'm certainly not the most
articulate on this point, but I'm a doer, not a theoretician.

>I am very interested to hear comments from the group on this issue of lens
>vs. film contrast.  While it is clear that we should all buy the camera and
>lens system that we like best with the films we like best, I remain
>interested in learning more about whether, all other things being equal, a
>lens that yields images of higher contrast has better coatings or control
>over flare than a lens that produces images of lower overall contrast.

I think it's more important that the overall performance of a lens works
together to make great looking pictures. And in my experience (Nikon,
Canon, Pentax, Contax, Leica, Linhof, Hassleblad, Rollei, Schneider,
Rodenstock, Nikkor, Fuji - the 6x8 camera which is stupendously good) Leica
does it better than anyone.

But that's just my opinion.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He doesn't have much of a reputation, or so I've heard.