Subject: Re: [Leica] incident metering procedure
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:27:12 +0100

Francesco wrote:

>Call me dumb, but I myself have never operated an incident meter.
>I have always relied upon my in-camera meter and the green grass,
>blue sky, or palm of my hand for guidelines.  Can someone tell me
>if one is supposed to meter incidentally with the dome pointing at
>the camera or the dome pointing at the main light source?  I have
>heard both and am confused.  Someone please tell me your
>procedure......

I use a Weston V selenium meter with an Invercone incident light
attachment, and find it accurate in 99% of situations.

The Invercone is a large hemisphere with a dent in the middle, so it's
actually gathering in light from 180 degrees and averaging it. Most meters
have a similar sort of dome arrangement..

If you can get close to the subject, then it's simple. Just hold the meter
upright/level with the dome pointing towards the camera position, and it
will then average the light falling on the target. Very quick, and almost
totally idiot-proof.

If you can't get close (as in landscapes), it's normally quite easy to find
a patch nearby which has much the same sort of lighting as the subject and
taking a reading there.

That said, when I'm using TTL metering, I've found the 'grass' tip (thank
you LUG), a very effective substitute for an 18% grey card. Living in
Ireland, there's a lot of grass to choose from - my only problem is which
of the 72 shades of green to choose.......

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists