Subject: Re: [Leica] off-topic, ALPA
From: RBedw51767 <RBedw51767@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:18:21 EDT

Alpa cameras are real collectors items.  I remember going "ga ga" over Alpa
cameras back in the 60's and early 70's.  Absolutely gorgeous pieces of
workmanship.  They were, in my opinion, ahead of their time.  Handcrafted and
made in Switzerland.  I can think of no SLR built during that time that
equaled them.  You still find them at camera shows and they bring top bucks.
Some advertisers in Shutterbug specialize in Alpa cameras(see page 188-April
issue).  Unfortunately they stopped making them in the 70's.  During that time
the Nikon and Canon cameras were taking over.  I recently read that someone
had purchased the name and was going to reintroduce Alpa.  If my memory is
correct they were going to retail for around $8000.  I wish I could help you
more.

BOB B.

<< Does anyone have experience with Alpa cameras? I'm curious about them and
 haven't been able to find much information about them. Please email me
 privately.

 Thanks
 M. Cenzer >>