Subject: [Leica] Vertical shutter in a M-6, heresy
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 9:33:37 -0500

The FM2 has a vertical multi-bladed shutter mechanism which allows it to
sync faster.

My Canon F1n's have a single piece Titanium horizontal curtains and they
only sync to 1/90.

If you want a 1/250 sync, you need a vertical shutter.  While I would
like metal curtains in the M-6.  Would a good vertical shutter unit would
actually fit in the current M-6 shell. My understanding is that there
isn't space for extra electronics.   Besides that, it would destroy some
70 years of the Leitz shutter design tradition:  committing heresy by
collectors standards at least.

For shooting with an M-6........  Flash?????  What's that??????

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

>>>How, pray tell, would a 250 flash sync speed or intermediate shutter
>>>speeds clutter up an M6?
>
>> And lose the rubberized cloth shutter that people wax ecstatic over?
: )
>>  Honestly, though, there is no adding "just one more feature".  Adding
>> electronic features seems to be a slippery slope down to a G2
facsimile.