Subject: [Leica] RE: Parasite treatments
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:47:18 -0500

Well,  we take a series of Flagyl treatments every so often and that does
a pretty good job with parasites.  I've had numerous battles with bichos
of various types and Flagyl (which we joke is more or less rat poison)
wins every time.  My wifes stomach doesn't handle it very well though and
it leaves an aluminum foil taste in your mouth.   I'd just as not share
the details from the other end...........

Some people take garlic pills every day and that seems to work well.
More than anything you need wash your hands well before eating.  Fried
foods and well cooked potatoes etc. are usually safe as is guinea
pig.........  It seems to take about a week or so before some parasites
show much effect so it's pretty hard to tell what and where was the
source.  Others well.......  There is less than a pleasant air around the
affected.

Cold vegetable salads and many seafood dishes seem to be at a higher
risk.   Everybody I know comes back with something when they travel to
the coast it seems.  But I've gotten food poisoning from Pizza Hut as
well as some other very nice restaurants around Quito.

Parasites are a normal way of life in much of the world, If you travel
around Latin America for a while, sooner or later you'll get them. I've
heard of several cases where doctors in the states were stumped by cases
that our doctors could have diagnosed in a second.  But we've got a
clinical research lab that specializes in those kinds of things  (Note:
We developed a cure for river blindness for the World Health
Organization).

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador