Subject: Re: [Leica] 2/90 R Summicron rumor
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 22:48:46 -0500

At 03:06 AM 4/6/98 +0200, you wrote:

>Thanks for your comments, Eric. It's just, that the R8 is *for me* so
>far away from what I feel, prefer, and select as a Leica, that I have
>difficulties to understand or follow developments or changements in
>Solms' current SLR system.

You don't need an SLR. So that makes sense. I DO need an SLR, and I want
Leica lenses.

>For me, a Leica has to be simple, reliable, small, manual, and the best -

Since my M6 has been at Leica for repair, I really miss it. I never
realized how much bigger my SLRs are than my M6 'til I could no longer just
sling the M6 over my shoulder when I was out without any specific intention
to shoot, er, make pictures. I really miss it.

>Hence, I don't understand systems, which are determined rather by the
>production of pictures and less by the fun and skills of the photographer.

Some of us work at this for a living. We need cameras to do the job, not
just are fun to play with. That doesn't mean the R8 isn't fun. By all means
it is, for those of us who are used to SLRs.

>In short: I don't see an reason, why modern electronic photographers take the
>burden of photography instead of taking a video and select the best frames.

Image quality. What else is there? Video is a joke.

>Those photographers just use the word Leica, but it's no Leica photography
>for me anymore, even if they use the same lenses.

The end result is Leica. SLR, rangefinder, it's the same in the end. The
picture on the wall, screen or page. Leica glass makes the beautiful image.
Otherwise, why bother using film at all? Just carry around toys, and
pretend? I don't think you mean that, but that's what it sounds like. The
Leica experience for me is the results as well as the esthetic experience
of using it. Both are important.

>Maybe I'm too far out, but, does an electronic SWC or Linhof also exist
>meanwhile ?

Well, the Rollei 8008 is electronic, and gives Hassleblad a run for the
money optically (and beats them in many cases with Schneider lenses, no?).
There are some Linhof cameras with electronic parts. Sinars especially.
Tools. If they work, they work.

But you are NOT too far out. What works for you is not what works for me.
Or anyone else. But it's just as valid. We can share these experiences of
using Leica. But we need to avoid criticizing other's people's experiences
just because they differ from our own. Otherwise we will degenerate into
flame wars.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?