Subject: [Leica] Shutter durability
From: Mike Johnston <70007.3477@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 23:49:52 -0400

Stephen Gandy>>>Nikon F & F2  mechanical shutters have  proven  much more
reliable in service<<<

I'm certainly no expert in camera mechanics, and am happy to be corrected by
one who knows better--but I understood the subject at hand to be high-speed
mechanical shutters, which I'd define as one with 1/4000 or 1/8000 maximum
speed and 1/250th sync speed. Again, I don't know, but I'd be suprised if
either the original F or the F2 met the criteria. And since none of these
cameras records shutter cycles, how can even a camera repairman comment on the
durability of a shutter? About the best you can do is to extropolate based on
assumptions. Camera designers, on the other hand, know what the shutter is
designed to do. The Nikon F4 shutter, for instance was designed to last for
150,000 cycles--I was told that by Nikon engineers. Surely that isn't _worse_
than the durability of the F and F2, is it???

As far as the metering discussion is concerned, my only comment is: with a
matrix (multi-segment evaluative) metering system, how is it possible for the
photographer to "correct" it or "adjust" for situations where you suspect it
might be wrong? The fact is, you don't know what it's doing in the first place.
You don't know how it's arrived at its determination. Noboby _can_ know. The
issue with me is that multi-segment metering means you simply have to trust the
_judgement_ of the system; it's no longer a measuring tool, it's a cyborg
that's replacing you as the controller. For me, personally, this isn't
progress.

- --Mike